There are cities with organised public transportation while others are quite messy. There are those that are really crowded while others are comfortable. Since you are taking public transportation, you might have to be prepared to feel a bit uncomfortable since you are taking it with a lot of other people. Here are some tips to avoid problems when using a public transportation system if you are in a new city.
- Understand the routes. This is the first thing you need to know. You can’t just hop on a bus without knowing where it is heading to. You should study it as some of them might require you to take different buses before you arrive at your destination. You must have an idea how much the fare is so you don’t overpay. You can also prepare the exact amount as some of them might not give you change if you don’t have the exact amount.
- Don’t overdress. It is extremely important to wear normal clothing. Try to be as simple as you can and blend in with the crowd. Don’t wear a lot of jewellery. Leave your valuables at home. It is important that you blend with the rest of the people on the bus or train to avoid being the target of thieves. You also don’t want all eyes on you just because of what you have chosen to wear.
- Be polite. You will meet different personalities when using public transportation. Some people could be very rude. There are those who will shove you inside the train. Others won’t give you a seat even if they see you being too uncomfortable. Regardless, you should still remain polite. Don’t engage in a fight. Just stay calm and smile at people around you. Just like them, you also feel uncomfortable and tired. If you allow your emotions to get the best of you, nothing will happen.
- Be on time. There are certain cities where being on time, is a must. You are only given one ticket and if you miss the vehicle, you won’t get the same ticket again. You also have to wait for a while before the next one comes. Take Japan for instance. This city is very strict when it comes to time. If the train says it is leaving at 08.36, it will leave at that time. The doors will close whether you have already seated comfortably or not.
- Lower your voice. If you are with someone, try to chat in a normal voice. Don’t shout at each other. If you are talking to someone over the phone, lower your voice down. Again, you don’t want all eyes on you. Besides, some people are trying to take a nap. They have been very tired from work or from other things they need to attend to. The least that you can do is to just keep quiet until you reach your place.
- Be prepared for alternatives. You might not get everything right the first time. For instance, you end up missing the bus. You have also used the wrong train. If you are caught in this situation, try to look for alternatives. Don’t panic. You can always find a way to return to where you are supposed to go. Most of all, you need to prepare money just in case you will be forced to take a taxi. Download Uber or other riding apps just in case your plan of using public transportation does not turn out the way you want it to be.
Being in a public vehicle could be quite challenging especially if you are new to the place. Over time, you will get used to it. You will even feel like you are one of them. Check out some of the best public transportation cities and compare them with the kind of public transportation back home.
It might be uncomfortable using public transportation, but you will surely learn a lot. This is something you will bring with you for the rest of your life. You will also save a lot of money. If you are working in a different city and you don’t have a private vehicle, you definitely have to learn how to use public transportation. You will benefit from it.
Also read: 10 Items You Must Pack For Your Holidays